POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : bicubic patch flatness test : Re: bicubic patch flatness test Server Time
3 Aug 2024 04:20:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: bicubic patch flatness test
From: andrel
Date: 21 May 2004 15:21:50
Message: <40AE56D2.60709@hotmail.com>

> The only workaround I see is to always use flatness 0...
It is not a workaround, it is what is in the specifications.
A flat round patch is completely flat no matter how round
it is. It surprised me the first time too. An unwanted
side effect of that is that we sometimes are forced to
specify a lower value of flatness (e.g. 0) than we would like.
I do not know if another definition of flatness could be
implemented that took the curvature of the edge splines
into account nor if that would break existing code.