POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : non-transparent SSS and interior texture with mesh2 : Re: non-transparent SSS and interior texture with mesh2 Server Time
3 Aug 2024 04:20:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: non-transparent SSS and interior texture with mesh2
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 7 May 2004 12:48:38
Message: <409bbde6$1@news.povray.org>
anto matkovic wrote:
> Probably old question :)
>
> - I trying to do SSS with media on Mesh2 - it works, but I simply can't do
> apsolute non-transparent SSS, even with tons of intervals - object have some
> very thiny details, like a ears. Is there some workflow (for relative fast
> rendering:), maybe with photons?

I guess that it's little bit too late for you (you mentioned deadline),
but for future note (and self-promotion :)  those, who feel adventerous
enough to try patched POV-Ray, could use POVMan for such purpose. See my
posting in p.binaries.images from 2003-05-18, titled 'FSSS'.
Of course it works only with POVMan (as there is shader for such
purpose) and it ain't perfect: it is faked (that's from where F comes)
with respect to light-source (main light source is given as parameter),
in some cases shadows get really messy (iirc it appears in cases, when
object has several 'intersections' toward light source) etc. But it is
relatively fast and totally non-transparent and in some limited cases
could provide satisfactory results with little tinkering.