POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : reading configuration file not permitted : Re: reading configuration file not permitted Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:33:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: reading configuration file not permitted
From: Marton Fabo
Date: 7 May 2004 07:28:55
Message: <409b72f7@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Marton Fabo <mor### [at] eikbmehu> wrote:
>
>>[/home/morton]$ ~/povray-3.5/povray ~/.povray.conf +Itest.pov
>

>   You don't give povray its configuration file in the command line. It
> reads it all by itself.

Strangely, if I don't specify it on the command line, then it just seems
to skip it, and complains about that reading test.pov is not permitted.
I think it skips ~/.povray.conf because its contents are:

[Permitted Paths]
read+write*=.

which should allow full access to the current directory and its subdirs.
Povray complains nevertheless, so seemingly it doesn't read that config
file.

The other possibiliy I can imagine is that since there is no global
(system-wide) config file, povray thinks the system-wide permitted paths
list is empty (of which I can't be sure). And since the user config
files can only further constrain the global settings, my ~/.povray.conf
's settings have no effect. Does this mean that I have to recompile
povray anyway, with specifying a system-wide config file path to which I
have access?

thx
mortee