POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Another competition? : Re: Another competition? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 12:15:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another competition?
From: Tom A
Date: 5 May 2004 18:23:58
Message: <4099697e$1@news.povray.org>
Mischa wrote:
> Paul Bourke <pdb### [at] swineduau> wrote:
>
>>1. Limited geometry. eg: Create a scene with no more than 10 objects from
>>   the following list: sphere, cylinder, cone, box.

All my shortest code contests were made that way - a forest made of
three planes and a bunch of cylinders; a school of fish made with a
lathe object and some disks, etc.

> But I like the idea with the tools, I've read here somewhere.

I've been working on a height field editor - would that count?

> ..) One (more or less simple) photo/image is given and each contestant tries
>    to reach the reference as close as possible only using PoV.
>    (The difficulty of this contest will strongly be influenced by the
> selected
>    picture of course.)

An architectural object of some sort would be neat (but may be very
complex - like the U.S. capital building.)  But you'd want something
like that which would allow POV to show it's stuff.

Another suggestion I liked was an animation contest.  You could limit it
by size of POV source, or maybe limit what was being animated - the
contest creator would create a basic scene - like a fountain, and the
contestants would supply a macro that generates the water from the pipe
and in the basin.

I missed the 3rd shortest code contest both because I wasn't online very
much at the time, and thought it was limitted to 100 characters - I have
enough trouble with 250!  Maybe next time....

Just had another thought - there was a coding contest I heard about once
- the goal was to create a program the produced an animated fire.
Perhaps something could be made from that.

Tom A.