POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Sphere/polyherdon question : Re: Sphere/polyherdon question Server Time
3 Aug 2024 06:18:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sphere/polyherdon question
From: Chris Johnson
Date: 2 May 2004 07:38:34
Message: <4094ddba$1@news.povray.org>
-[The final distribution is somewhat skewed with higher "point density"
about the original vertices]-
Once you have a mesh of the points, if you model electrostatic repulsion
between the points, while keeping them bounded on the sphere, after a few
iterations of the repulsion algorithm, the will have rearranged themselves
into an even distribution. Alternatively, it might be a good idea to model
the edges as springs pulling the modal together - this might avoid the
potential problem of the points reshuffling so much that they form very
non-iscosceles triangles. If you start with an icosahedron, I think this
method might work.

One could start with 60000 random points on a sphere and apply the
electrostatic repulsion method to get a near-even distribution, but the
difficulty then is finding the best way to form the edges. This problem of
finding the "best" edges given a set of points is quite hard I think.

-Chris