POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : My LOTW project (145K) : Re: My LOTW project (145K) Server Time
17 May 2024 02:30:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My LOTW project (145K)
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 29 Apr 2004 06:56:13
Message: <4090df4d$1@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> Really nice! Any chance there will be a higher-resolution render (despite
> the render time) that allows a closer look at all the little details that
> are in the image?

   Thanks! And yes, I will render this and the future LOTW images at
bigger resolution, but not much more. There are details that look better
if they are only barely visible and do not show their simplistic nature.
  This is the reason also for the aerial view.

> BTW, how complex is the scene (objects, parsing time, etc)?

   Not really much, but enough to be a nightmare for me:

   + Single isosurface terrain with max_gradient 3
   + Slope-based procedural texture for the terrain.
   + 300 clouds (object pattern for each cloud uses 24 spheres).
   + 30000 isosurface trees with max_gradient 1.
   + 1000 CSG houses out of some boxes.
   + 5000 vertices for Skylight mesh.
   + No radiosity, only sun and two fill lights (opposed and zenith).

   Parsing time was 3 minutes, mainly because trees and houses both
obtain their positions randomly, and this takes a while even with the
2.1Ghz CPU I have now.

   Regards..

--
Jaime