POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Another high dynamic range format: FNG : Re: Another high dynamic range format: FNG Server Time
30 Jun 2024 12:41:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another high dynamic range format: FNG
From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 26 Apr 2004 12:04:50
Message: <408d3322$1@news.povray.org>
> It is portable.

	Indeed, and this is why I answered to myself that I was wrong.
It's just that I'm so used to softwares writing raw floating-point data
by people who don't even know what is endianness that I was immediatly
suspicious of using floating point in PNG... until I re-read your
message and the bit distribution you proposed.

	As Christoph suggests, that would be quite nice to make it in
the official PNG format, instead of making it a derivative.  That could
go in e.g. libpng-1.3 -- the only drawback is: when would it appear ?
(png and zlib developpers are not particularly fast at releasing new
versions, and I don't know their policies in accepting contributions).

	- NC