POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Announcement: IMBJR has been banned from news.povray.org : Re: Announcement: IMBJR has been banned from news.povray.org Server Time
3 Aug 2024 12:19:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Announcement: IMBJR has been banned from news.povray.org
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 26 Apr 2004 01:41:06
Message: <408ca0f2$1@news.povray.org>
In article <408c7d32$1@news.povray.org> , "Jeremy M. Praay"
<sla### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> "Thorsten Froehlich" <tho### [at] trfde> wrote in message
>>
>> It is with regret that this message serves as official notice that IMBJR's
>> authorization to connect to news.povray.org has been revoked.
>
> I'm fairly certain that's what IMBJR wanted...

Yes, I am fairly certain about it as well.

Let me take this opportunity to summarise the events that made this action
on our part necessary.  I would also like to express that we were very
reluctant to take this action, but we had simply no choice:

As the reason has not been stated, and some here seem to believe it was due
to the content of various images, the reason was actually the content of one
image, a content unacceptable in a public forum open to minors.  It is the
image that caused the original discussion about unacceptable content.  And
the initial response of the Chris Cason was to see where it goes.  For the
majority of users of this server community pressure is sufficient to let
them behave as a guest on this server, and never has and never will any
person be banned just because they made one mistake.

However, IMBJR posted the same content, modified as a GIF again.  This went
on with several other images.  Those images were not new work, he simply
took them from his website and posted them here for storage and rejected
interest in any discussion of them.  At this point Chris Cason had no choice
but to formally warn him that such behavior is unacceptable for various
reasons.  This warning was issued with full support from the POV-Team and
TAG.  As you know the POV-Team and TAG are composed of people from all over
the world with different backgrounds.  And still we all reached the same
conclusion that a warning was needed.  The reasons were made clear and IMBJR
said he would comply.

So, two days ago he posted the image that caused the original controversy
again.  This time in bright colors, but the same content of course.  The
image was removed by us.  The next day he posted it again as he had realised
the image had been removed.  Without doubt IMBJR was fully aware that
posting the same image that was deemed inappropriate for posting on this
server twice before.  As such, he posted it only for the one reason, to
provoke controversy a third time.  This is not acceptable use of the this
server, and for this he was banned.

After two clear warnings.  One from the community, one from the owner of
this server.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde