POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : compiling problems pov-3.5-c linux gcc : Re: compiling problems pov-3.5-c linux gcc Server Time
8 Jul 2024 15:46:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: compiling problems pov-3.5-c linux gcc
From: marabou
Date: 19 Apr 2004 18:44:03
Message: <40845632@news.povray.org>
Edward Coffey wrote:

> Do you really need to use a custom compile of GCC - why not just use
> the latest one from Debian? I'm not sure what's in 'stable' at the
> moment, but 'unstable' has had gcc-3.2 for quite a while (and Debian
> unstable seems as stable as any other distro). A "complete upgrade"
> of a Debian system should be as simple as "apt-get update" followed
> by "apt-get dist-upgrade", assuming your apt sources are correctly
> configured and you have a decent Internet connection (otherwise you
> can just get a new set of CDs, point your sources.list to them and
> use the same commands).

of course "apt-get dist-upgrade" seems to be simple. i tried it in
december. and then my system was broken due package
incompatibilities: some needed packages were not upgraded so other
packages did not work. but mostly packages were upgraded without
needs.
then i burned a testing tree with jigdo. 12 cds. not with my inet
connection ;-) and what happened? installation was broken because
configuration files were written bad (no deb-installer). and of
course: depency problems with packages.
therefore i wait for the 3.1-version.
since then i try to compile by my own and try to make debs.
it is not the soft way, but increases experience.