POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : compiling problems pov-3.5-c linux gcc : Re: compiling problems pov-3.5-c linux gcc Server Time
8 Jul 2024 15:45:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: compiling problems pov-3.5-c linux gcc
From: Edward Coffey
Date: 19 Apr 2004 18:12:36
Message: <40844ed4@news.povray.org>
marabou wrote:
<snip>
> some time ago gcc-3.? was too unstable to use. and then i disfollwed
> the discussion.
> then i have to make a complete upgrade of my system. sounds like much
> work... *snief

Do you really need to use a custom compile of GCC - why not just use the
latest one from Debian? I'm not sure what's in 'stable' at the moment,
but 'unstable' has had gcc-3.2 for quite a while (and Debian unstable
seems as stable as any other distro). A "complete upgrade" of a Debian
system should be as simple as "apt-get update" followed by "apt-get
dist-upgrade", assuming your apt sources are correctly configured and
you have a decent Internet connection (otherwise you can just get a new
set of CDs, point your sources.list to them and use the same commands).