POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : compiling problems pov-3.5-c linux gcc : Re: compiling problems pov-3.5-c linux gcc Server Time
5 Jul 2024 13:52:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: compiling problems pov-3.5-c linux gcc
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 19 Apr 2004 14:09:59
Message: <408415f7@news.povray.org>
In article <40841019@news.povray.org> , marabou <not### [at] availablenet>  wrote:

> it is from 2002, a 3.0. with gcc-2.95 and gcc-3.0.4.
> i have tuned it up with some backports and self-compilations.

Supposedly their offical packages of gcc 3.2 are available since last year
for additional install on Debian 3.0.  At least that is what I get from
reading the various announcements and mailing lists.  However, I didn't find
any clear information how to add this additional install.

> some time ago gcc-3.? was too unstable to use. and then i disfollwed
> the discussion.
> then i have to make a complete upgrade of my system. sounds like much
> work... *snief

Well, the Debian definition of "unstable" is rather ridiculous in many
cases.  After all, they consider everything except their heavily patched
POV-Ray 3.0 plus old macro patch and other ancient patches a "stable"
version, while neither the official POV-Ray 3.1 or POV-Ray 3.5 were ever
considered "stable"...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde