POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Isosurfaces, deforming with pigment patterns, speed, internal algorithms : Re: Isosurfaces, deforming with pigment patterns, speed, internal algorithms Server Time
3 Aug 2024 08:15:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurfaces, deforming with pigment patterns, speed, internal algorithms
From: Ross Litscher
Date: 12 Apr 2004 11:44:03
Message: <407ab943$1@news.povray.org>
"James Bulgin" <jam### [at] nfsympaticoca> wrote in message
> After fooling around with isosurfaces for the first time a couple weeks
ago,
> I realized how much better they can be for making something look
> realistically bumpy, as opposed to a normal pattern. (I know this is
pretty
> common knowledge, but I hadn't actually experimented with it myself until
> then) However, the rendering speed is amazingly slow for some of them. I
> think a single frame of one crystal formation (a sphere with crackle added
> with a translucent texture containing some emitting media) took something
> like 20 minutes to render. Is there any way to achieve this sort of effect
> faster?

I seem to recall hearing that povray's built in pigment functions (like
crackle, bozo, etc...) take a long time in generating isosurfaces. I am not
an isosurface pro though, i've only started playing with them recently like
you. I could be wrong, and the exact opposite could be true about pigment
functions! It would be nice to here someone else say what the story is.
Someone like Tor Olav, with his amazing isosurface experience, would
probably know.

sorry i couldn't be any real help.