POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Questionable Content on the Newsgroups : Re: Questionable Content on the Newsgroups Server Time
3 Aug 2024 14:16:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Questionable Content on the Newsgroups
From: GreyBeard
Date: 9 Apr 2004 12:11:58
Message: <4076cb4e$1@news.povray.org>
"Patrick Elliott" <sha### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> Religion
> just happens to be the most common excuse for this sort of nonsense.

Probably, but also misses my point, which is probably not too clear to begin
with.  (Ongoing war with the English language, now in it's 62nd year.)
While it can be argued that religions have probably had an overall good
effect on manking, some of the most horrific injustice has also been done by
people in clerical garb.  Nuff said.

Once again, the conventions of these groups has been set over the years,
more by people having the restraint to use a little common sense before
posting something either offensive by accident, or by design.  I have seen
nothing in past postings that I would object to anyone seeing, but as I
stated, I haven't seen the image that started this thing.  For anyone to
post something outside of those conventions is nothing short of stupid,
rude, loutish, and the act of someone that is somewhat below the mental
level of a prosimian.  After the years that the POV groups have been here,
there is nothing wrong with staying inside the mostly voluntary constraints.

If someone wants to post something outside of those constraints, then they
should post only a link, to a page containing a warning of it's content, and
a link to the image in question.  Let the one that wants to be on the
outside go through the trouble, not everyone else.  If it's worth looking
at, people will look, if it isn't, the word will be spread quickly enough.

Greybeard.

(No hair, just beard.)