POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : --- : Re: strange black areas Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:32:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: strange black areas
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 9 Apr 2004 11:41:46
Message: <4076c43a$1@news.povray.org>
Program ended abnormally on 09/04/2004 09:01, Due to a catastrophic Buddy13 error:
> I've been modeling Bender from Futurama to kill some time, and I've run
> into some strange black/dark areas around the neckline.
>
> The textures aren't reflective in any way, so I don't think it's a max
> trace level problem (which is set to 50 anyway).
>
> The best I can come up with is that it's radiosity somehow doing it.

Yep.

> And I know my code is probably pretty sloppy, but I still consider
> myself new at this. :D

Having a cool project like that will most certainly help you learn new tricks
along the way.  You code is not that sloppy, but there's a few things I'd like
to comment on:

1 - Your light_source is coincident with the floor, which might not be of great
help.  You might want to move it somewhere else.  Especially since it is behind
Bender, so your photons wouldn't be seen (none are shot anyways, because no
objects interact with them at this point)

2 - Adding "hollow on" to the plane does not give you anything.  Doesn't hurt
either, but

3 - I rewrote your Measuring_Wall object.  It could have also been just a plane
or a box with a marble or gradient pigment.  I know that it is currently
commented out, but it looks like you weren't aware of the power of the #while()
directive.

     #declare Measuring_Wall = union {
         //changed to a while loop to reduce size of code
         //moved Y1 closer to loop for cleanliness.
         //removed Y2 as it is unneeded.
         // - F.L.
         #declare Y1 = 0.0;
         #while( Y1 < 1.6 )
             box {
                 <100,Y1,0>,<-100,Y1+0.1,0.001>
                 pigment { color rgb Color1 }
             }
             box {
                 <100,Y1+0.1,0>,<-100,Y1+0.2,0.001>
                 pigment { color rgb Color2 }
             }
             #declare Y1 = Y1 + 0.2;
         #end //while
     }
     //object { Measuring_wall }

4 - This box causes an error because it goes from 1.5 to 1.5 in the Y direction.
  I don't know what you were trying to do with it (I don't have enough time to
reverse-engineer that bit of your code), but you might want to look into
changing the value of Eye_Cover_Opening.

     #declare EyeCover = intersection {
         object {EyeHole2}
         box {
             <0.1,Eye_Cover_Opening,-0.1835>,<-0.1,1.5,-0.1834>
         }
     }

Have fun, and be sure to show us your progress. ;)

/*   videotron.ca  */}camera{orthographic location<6,1.25,-6>look_at a }