POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Questionable Content on the Newsgroups : Re: Questionable Content on the Newsgroups Server Time
3 Aug 2024 14:18:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Questionable Content on the Newsgroups
From: GreyBeard
Date: 7 Apr 2004 23:27:21
Message: <4074c699$1@news.povray.org>
I'm not responding to any one or any one particular point here.  It's
already been covered that not everyone is the same religion.  The question I
have, concerning religious statements, what difference does it make?
Without saying what I am, if I say "I Believe", that is my personal
standpoint, and has no bearing on anyone else.  My belief is my belief and
nothing more.

The line between adult and porn is a fine one, and as far as I've been able
to discover, nobody has been able to nail it down exactly.  It depends a lot
on the customs of your country, your own personal thoughts, and little else.
There is a point that it is obvously one or the other, but it's the shades
of gray that are troublesome.

Next comes "What is art?"  If you want a good flamefest, that one question
is more than enough to cause one.  (No, don't start it.)  There are purists,
theorists, and the "No holds barred" in every group.  Artists are a funny
group, art to one is pure shite to another.  Diddabum, no more can be said.

What is acceptable?  It's quite obvious that over the years certain
conventions have become accepted on the groups, some far more lenient than
others.  "Chief troll in charge of creating useless threads"  (Imbjr)
obviously feels that these conventions are something to be challenged, but
for what reason, only God knows, and he ain't saying.  No, I haven't seen
his images, as he has the places of honor in my killfile.  (Two entries in
the killfile, and both of them honoring him.)

Art, if my interpretation of the word is correct, most likely not, can both
stir emotions, or cause one to think.  It can entertain, it can inform, it
can stimulate.  Mammalian instincts being what they are, there are times
that I wouldn't want to be seeing suggestive pictures.  It can also serve as
a memorial, whether public or private of events that are significant in one
way or another to someone.  The problem with art is trying to define what is
and isn't.

I don't think I'm alone in that I have memories of my early teens, fleeting
seconds that affected me in one way or another.  Mere seconds that I now
realize helped to mold me to what I am today, what I like, and what I
dislike.  I have done some of them using the infamous Poser, and the more
infamous Judy, along with the much maligned Dork, but only to try to hang on
to something from the past.  At the time I lived them, I didn't see them as
particularly erotic, but from the few people that have seen them, and the
ones using the younger Poser models, the first thing I hear, "Kiddie porn."
They please me, but I have the benefit of memory as to what they mean, no
one else does.  They'll never be published, or posted.  The moments are
somewhat intimate, but are things I'm sure everyone has experienced in one
way or another.

Let's not try to define and pigeon hole every facet of life.  We can portray
life, or fantasy, or complete fiction, and trying to classify everything is
totally unproductive.  The conventions for the POV groups are well
established, there is no need to try to redefine what is acceptable and what
isn't.

Cheers

Greybeard