POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : format and the web : Re: format and the web Server Time
3 Aug 2024 14:11:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: format and the web
From: Marvin Taylor
Date: 5 Apr 2004 16:23:33
Message: <4071c045@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> In article <40706b92@news.povray.org>, dne### [at] sanrrcom says...
>
>>You also need to upload it in "binary" mode, if you're not already.
>>
> You know.. I never quite understood why such and option even existed. If
> I upload a text file in binary mode is it going to explode or something?
> lol Seriously, the option of which of the two to use only adds confusion
> and makes it more likely that people will screw something up. Data is
> data and all of it is basically binary anyway, the servers don't bloody
> care.

Keep in mind that FTP was originated in 1971 (RFC172), or before.  At
the time not every machine had words that were powers of 2 (such as 9
and 36?).

Text mode transfers indicated that the client/server should convert each
"character" to it's local interpretation; an implied conversion.  ASCII
to/from EBCIDC (?) might be one such example.

But for binary data --  when transferring from a 16 bit to a 36 bit
computer (for example), some conversion would be required, and the
standard (wisely I think) did not pick one.

That said, though, don't most FTP clients default to binary?