POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Questionable Content on the Newsgroups : Re: Questionable Content on the Newsgroups Server Time
3 Aug 2024 20:16:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Questionable Content on the Newsgroups
From: andrel
Date: 5 Apr 2004 13:11:23
Message: <4071931C.3030507@hotmail.com>
Samuel T. Benge wrote:

> Am I the only one (besides Greg, Tyler, Bob, and Patrick) who feels this
> way? Please speak up, or else nothing will be done about it. I hope to
> enjoy these newsgroups again someday.

I feel the same. As pointed out before I don't object to the nature
of the posting myself, I do object to the act of postings things
that some people might find offensive and especially if the poster
is aware of that.

Everybody using the killfile does not work because that does not
work for _everybody_, there are always new people visiting and
for some people for technical or other reasons it is just impossible
(like apparently in your case).
Also I think it means that in that case we would allow people to
break the rules (or not apply common sense) and that we all
have to act to that individually.
IMHO the judgement should be at the sender.

With IMBJR we have a case where someone had repeatedly broken
the rules of the newsgroup, has been told time and again to use
his common sense before posting remarks that are considered
offensive by others and then proceeds by posting 'art'.
Art here being used in the (IMHO perverted) sense of 'something
that intends to evoke an emotional response from the viewer'.
(This is founded on a logical fallacy: Real art invokes an
emotional response, therefore if something invokes an emotion
it must be art.)
When as in this case the emotions sought after are anger and/or
disgust I personally think a news-group centered on a tool to
create images is not the right place to expose your 'art'.
What makes this case especially interesting is that we here
have someone who is not living in the same world as most
of us, who has shown to have no such thing thar others regard
as 'common sense' and will most probably not be able to restrain
himself (or herself as the case may be). So the ultimate
question is: will he be stopped by the community before
he stops himself? To which the answer ofcourse is: 42.

> Happy Raytracing Everyone~
I will.

> -Samuel Benge
	Andrel