POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Questionable Content on the Newsgroups : Re: Questionable Content on the Newsgroups Server Time
3 Aug 2024 18:23:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Questionable Content on the Newsgroups
From: Ron Mayer
Date: 5 Apr 2004 07:59:04
Message: <40714A07.7080803@cheapcomplexdevices.com>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> ..."Tim Nikias v2.0" ... wrote:
>>It is difficult to propose where to draw a line between erotic,
 >>obscenity and pornography though. What might be considered erotic
 >>is perhaps obscene to the next.
>
> Personally I tend to have no problem with anything that can also been seen
> in Greek statues.  Beyond that, I do tend to consider things pornography.

In many workplaces, even some of the Greek statues are inappropriate.
If you don't believe me, just try putting such a statue on your desk
and see how long it can stay.

On the other hand, if someone did create a well-rendered greek
statue with subsurface scattering, etc. I'd be quite interested
in seeing it outside of the office.

Personally, I like the suggestion of having a separate newsgroup
where all the nude, naked, and obscene pictures would end up;
primarily because even an elegant nude is not something I want
on my screen at work.

   just a lurker...

PS: If you guys are talking about stuff from the same guy who kept
arguing endlessly about JPEG2000s, I aready killfiled him
since he seemed more inclined to stir up trouble than contribute.
Assuming it's the same guy, my guess is that if you block
obscenity he'll just turn to posting uncompressed CMYK files,
or X bitmaps just to keep stirring up trouble.