POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Questionable Content on the Newsgroups : Re: Questionable Content on the Newsgroups Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:19:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Questionable Content on the Newsgroups
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 5 Apr 2004 03:21:36
Message: <40710900@news.povray.org>
In article <407### [at] hotmailcom> , "Samuel T. Benge"
<stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> It seems my favorite newsgroup on the POV-Ray news server has been
> darkened by pornography. Of course I'm talking about binaries.images.
> Webster's dictionary defines pornography as, "obscene literature or
> pictures." Can you call what has been posted anything less?

I suppose you are referring to
<http://news.povray.org/3p0e60969ebtssdmsv3h5ji0u1e3u26gsd%404ax.com>?

In that case, this in only on the news server, not the web view.  Apart from
that, there were two images posted in GIF format, but in a hidden way.
While I don't think this should have been done, fact is that by default you
see nothing that would qualify as pornography in those image with the
specified color palette.

> It is because of this I won't be posting anything there anymore.

Don't you think you are a tiny bit over-reacting just because one troll
posted one such image?

> I don't
> have to put up with people who insist what they are doing 'has to be
> accepted'. I am not blind to the world portrayed in those images, but I
> don't have to be reminded *every time* I visit the newsgroups. As a side
> note, my message filters don't work or else I'd use them.

You should just killfile the one troll many here have already killfiled
already.  Or do you really want the administrators of this news server to
declare that something is degenerate art and not allow it?

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde