POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Questionable Content on the Newsgroups : Re: Questionable Content on the Newsgroups Server Time
3 Aug 2024 08:14:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Questionable Content on the Newsgroups
From: Hughes, B
Date: 4 Apr 2004 23:17:06
Message: <4070cfb2$1@news.povray.org>
"Timothy Cook" <z99### [at] bellsouthnet> wrote in message
> Samuel T. Benge wrote:
> > It is because of this I won't be posting anything there anymore.
>
> You know, you don't have to read every post, nor should someone else's
> posting (save that of the admin) deter you from making your own posts.

First of all: Oh no! Don't say that Samuel!

Except that to be a part of these povray newsgroups is probably best seen as
a community of just one certain kind of thing (POV-Ray, of course). Meaning,
I think the controversy is about such extreme diversity that it's more of a
deviation from the norm (reflective spheres and other such raytraced shapes)
than merely expression (rusty spheres).
:-)
When povray.general discussions become mostly talk about non-POV subjects
they go (to) off-topic, and this reminds me of the infamous Matt Giwer
expulsion from here. That was about religon or ethics or some-such
controversial topics that were deemed wrong for the groups as a whole. IMO
this might easily be of the same definition, and end result, if it causes an
uproar among a majority or at least the news server administrator(s).

Would be interesting to see a new group crop up for posting explicit
imagery. It would surely be less prone to mistaking it for anything else
than what it's intended for. Problem with that, as I see it, is where to
draw the line. You could subdivide ad infinitum into categories for
photorealism, cartoonism, nudism, etc. Although I don't know of any other
alternatives other than banning or regrouping.

Bob H.