POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Questionable Content on the Newsgroups : Re: Questionable Content on the Newsgroups Server Time
3 Aug 2024 08:15:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Questionable Content on the Newsgroups
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 4 Apr 2004 23:05:15
Message: <4070cceb$1@news.povray.org>
"Timothy Cook" <z99### [at] bellsouthnet> wrote in message

> You know, you don't have to read every post, nor should someone else's
> posting (save that of the admin) deter you from making your own posts.
> Common sense says: if you think something will be offensive, don't look
> at it.

Pornography is wrong; it is an affront to the Creator.  Those who find
themselves creators of pornographic content ought not despair on that
account, for there is One who has prepared salvation for them, who says,
"Come to the Feast of the Lamb".  This is the Christian context I come from,
and I believe it to be literal truth.

If there were a newspaper coming into my home where I had to stop to check
the top border to see if a particular page were going to have porn on it,
common sense says don't bring the newspaper into the house, don't support
the publisher.  Common sense says round up persons of good will OF ALL
FAITHS to fight those publishers,  using noncoercive means including
nonparticipation, the soapbox, and the marketplace.

The question for the server owner is whether news.povray.org is to be a
publisher of porn, or even a publisher of URL's to porn images, or porn
hidden in GIF color pallettes.   Once before we faced someone who created
discord in the community over something that had nothing to do with
raytracing (or even beta expirations!).  I have no opinion on the specific
sanction applied to Matt Giwer, but I believe a sanction of some sort is
overdue in this case.