POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Questionable Content on the Newsgroups : Re: Questionable Content on the Newsgroups Server Time
3 Aug 2024 08:15:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Questionable Content on the Newsgroups
From: Slime
Date: 4 Apr 2004 21:54:18
Message: <4070bc4a$1@news.povray.org>
> It seems my favorite newsgroup on the POV-Ray news server has been
> darkened by pornography. Of course I'm talking about binaries.images.
> Webster's dictionary defines pornography as, "obscene literature or
> pictures." Can you call what has been posted anything less?

It seems to me that we may run the risk of having a discussion about what is
"art" and what is "pornography", but to the most part I agree with your
assessment. Some of the images posted recently are unnecessarily graphic,
and though the artist may not have intended them to be offensive, they
obviously are to some people, and probably more than those who have spoken
out. For that reason, plus the fact that at least in my country this sort of
image is not allowed to be shown to minors, I think these sorts of images
should not be posted on the POV-Ray newsgroups, despite what artistic merit
they may have. This is regardless of whether they are posted as a URL or
with a warning.

> It is because of this I won't be posting anything there anymore.

Well now, give it some time. It hasn't turned into a pornography fest.
There's only one person posting the controversial images; wait until it gets
sorted out before making a decision like that.

> Am I the only one (besides Greg, Tyler, Bob, and Patrick) who feels this
> way? Please speak up, or else nothing will be done about it. I hope to
> enjoy these newsgroups again someday.

Much as I hate to get involved in controversy, I will admit that I agree
with you on this issue. I think we need to come up with a rule or two
regarding this type of image, and enforce it.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]