POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Povray documentation as a book? : Re: Povray documentation as a book? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 08:12:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray documentation as a book?
From: Chris Cason
Date: 4 Apr 2004 07:41:42
Message: <406ff476@news.povray.org>
"Bill Hails" <bil### [at] europeyahoo-inccom> wrote in message
> Subject says it all really.
>
> I've only been around pov for a little over a year,
> so I'm sure this question has been mooted before
> but I can't find anything about it.
>
> I for one would buy it, and proceeds would surely
> help the support effort.  The book would help promote
> POV-Ray itself and, possibly, contributed full-page
> images facing each chapter could make the book very
> attractive to even a casual reader.

I've looked into this, the problem is that to do it justice it has to
be printed in color, and printing in color is very expensive, even if
doing one-offs. At least commercially (I did talk to one of the online
places that are into this to see what it would involve).

Printing in black and white is of course an alternative but I don't
consider that something that I, personally, would want to be passing
off as 'official documentation'.

Once the final docs are in place perhaps someone with a good grasp of
the costs of running a modern color laser printer could estimate what
printing the entire docs would run up.

(I've had it said to me that the newest color lasers are fairly cheap
to run, comparitively speaking, and that we may be surprised at how
little it costs to print them. Time will tell.)

-- Chris