POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POVRay Fractal Raytracing Competition : Re: POVRay Fractal Raytracing Competition Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:20:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRay Fractal Raytracing Competition
From: Warp
Date: 3 Apr 2004 09:36:51
Message: <406ecc03@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff <cja### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> Otherwise, where do you draw the line?

  At least I would disallow using an external image manipulation program
which is unrelated and separate from the renderer.
  For instance, if you render an image using POV-Ray as 10240x7680 and
then use Photoshop to rescale it to 1024x768, then that would be
forbidden because you are using an external program to modify the
image (potentially increasing its visual quality). The result would
not be the one produced by the renderer, but a modified one.
  This also disallows eg. brightness and contrast adjustments (currently
allowed). I personally think they should be forbidden anyways, because
they also produce an image which is not the direct result of the renderer
and can be used to enhance the visual quality of the image (specially
modifying the contrast of the image can produce quite stunning-looking
effects which the renderer might not be able to produce itself).
  If, however, the renderer *itself* can tune the brightness and
contrast of the result, then that would be ok (because it's a direct
output result of the renderer).

> So I'd say that this kind of full-image, non-interactive processing
> should be allowed, maybe with the requirement of the script or commands
> used to generate the final image.

  That way you could add all kinds of visual effects to the result
which are not produced by rendering, such as many types of motion blur,
glowing effects, etc etc.
  What you are getting is not what the renderer produces. The image made
by the renderer might look like crap, but after you apply all kinds of
special effects to the image it may look great. However, it's not a
rendered image anymore.