POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MegaPov collision detection : Re: MegaPov collision detection Server Time
30 Jun 2024 19:34:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MegaPov collision detection
From: Daniel Jungmann
Date: 31 Mar 2004 15:25:27
Message: <406b2935@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

> Daniel Jungmann wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have nowenableen a patch for faster collision detection. I just made
>> some quick checks and it seems working but might be still a lot of bugs.
>> Fee free to report them all.
>>
>> The zipfile contains the changed source files (mechsim.cpp and mechsim.h)
>> and a diff file. You don't need both of them.
>
> I did not yet have time to test it but from a quick look at the source
> it seems it might lead to slower calculations in cases of:
>
> - relatively few masses
> - situations where grouping works very well (like single masses
> colliding with grid structures).
>
> It would be useful to have some numbers actually comparing speed in such
> situations.  Also you replaced the exisiting collision method with the
> new technique - it would probably have been better to introduce it as an
> alternative method so you can compare them more easily.
>
> Christoph

Hi,

I have now rewritten the patch for faster collision detection. Now you can
enable and disable them. I made a new switch "bounding" inside mechsim.

MECHSIM:
    mechsim { [MECHSIM_ITEMS...] }
MECHSIM_ITEM:
    method INTEGER | gravity VECTOR | time_step FLOAT |
    step_count INTEGER | time FLOAT | start_time FLOAT |
    end_time FLOAT | bounding INTEGER
..

Bounding 0 means no bounding, just like before. Bounding 1 enables bounding
boxes for faces. Bounding 2 enables bounding boxes for faces and hash
bounding. I just made some quick checks and it seems working but there
might be still a lot of bugs. Fee free to report them all. The patch (diff
and changed files) is posted at povray.binaries.programming "MegaPov
collision detection patch 2".

Daniel