POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : competition ideas : Re: competition ideas Server Time
3 Aug 2024 14:16:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: competition ideas
From: Florian Brucker
Date: 31 Mar 2004 10:41:08
Message: <406ae694@news.povray.org>
> Any time based contest limits people with older hardware. Sure, you can
> preview things with low quality, no textures, etc. But someone with the
> latest greatest 3GHz machine will have a testing turnaround time advantage
> over me with my puny 3 year old mobile duron space heater.

That is, of course, true. But you have to admit that this goes for every
contest which has a deadline. With a 3Ghz monster you can create more
complex (in means of render time) scenes. Even a two month period like
the IRTC can be short if you wanted to do some great isosurface
landscapes on a 800Mhz PC.
I agree that the difference is bigger when the deadline is shorter.
There is however, always the possibility to do simpler scenes. Tek's
winning image of the last round is a perfect example for that.
Additionally, the shorter the time, the less complex the entries will be.

I personally see no problem in a short deadline. I have to admit that
I'm using an Athlon XP2600 with 1 Gig RAM, though :)

Florian