POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Media Help : Re: Media Help Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:22:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media Help
From: Hughes, B
Date: 30 Mar 2004 00:35:40
Message: <4069072c@news.povray.org>
"Buddy13" <bud### [at] themappersguildcom> wrote in message
> My standard distance in this scene is 150 units back.
> In this scene, I think it's close to 1unit=1inch.

When adjusting the media density, scattering, absorption, etc., the "unit"
distances will matter a lot. So try to think in terms of 1 unit being 1/10
of 10 units and 100 units being 10 times 10. Simple arithmetic for the media
/ scales correlation.

> Is the spherical even needed? I really don't know what I'm doing in
> regards to media, this is my first time using it. The only reason the
> spherical is there is because it was in that scene I copied it from.

No, not needed. Just allows for a variance from center to outer edge. If
you'd like the patterns you use for density to be uniform, or rather of one
pattern only, then don't use others in combination.

> I've read the documentation over and over but it's greek to me.

Like most things to begin with. I know what you mean though, sometimes it's
easiest to read only one little part concerning the thing you want to learn.
Other times it takes some linking up various parts together, which I think
the documentation is capable of if used right. What I do most is search it
with the keywords but that takes knowing of them first, hence the keyword
list section is great to check through what all is there. I realize this
advice might be pointless if the content itself is confusing but it's all
written in a form a got used to over the past 10 years and I think it works.
I always consider it only 90% complete anyhow, since the remaining info is
found out by asking things or looking around the internet.
:-)

--
Bob H.
http://www.3digitaleyes.com