POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Building a fast PC... : Re: Building a fast PC... Server Time
3 Aug 2024 14:19:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Building a fast PC...
From: Rick [Kitty5]
Date: 28 Mar 2004 17:35:05
Message: <40675317@news.povray.org>
Tek wrote:
> Yes, I get the point now. If I'm going for a multi-PC system it's actually
> cheaper to have half as many PCs all with dual processors. That's some
> good advice and I'm currently checking the online shops to figure out
> where the sweet spot is between speed and money :)

I could never go back to single CPU boxen :)

Just be aware that dual CPU setups can be quite picky when it comes to RAM,
so a load of your local vendors "cheap and chearfull" probably wont cut it
(check for compatability with the vendor before you buy, and make sure the
vendor will swap any RAM that fails to perform as expected, sometimes
simply switching brands can make a world of difference)

That said, I have only built one dually that had memory related problems
(random freezes, failing specific memtest86 tests) and turning off spread
spectrum in the bios cured it.

www.2cpu.com has an excellent forum.
--
Rick

Kitty5 NewMedia http://Kitty5.com
POV-Ray News & Resources http://Povray.co.uk
TEL : (+44) 0845 1083740 - ICQ : 15776037

PGP Public Key : http://pgp.kitty5.com