POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Building a fast PC... : Re: Building a fast PC... Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:21:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Building a fast PC...
From: Wolfgang Wieser
Date: 28 Mar 2004 13:26:19
Message: <406718ca@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

> Tek wrote:
>>
> But much more important is that there is no way to implement
> multithreading in a portable manner - not even for the three 'official'
> platforms.  So if you want to attempt implementing such a system (which
> would be pretty hard on the current POV-Ray source anyway) you would
> have to implement several platform specific variants.

Yes but it should be possible to find a portable interface for all the OSes.
It's like there are 3 different graphical interfaces (Mac, Windows, X11).
That should be possible for threads, too. At least Apache-2 can do it IIRC.

I think, one could consider designing POVRay-4 in a way to allow for that.

Wolfgang