POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Building a fast PC... : Re: Building a fast PC... Server Time
3 Aug 2024 14:14:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Building a fast PC...
From: laurent artaud[AT]free fr
Date: 27 Mar 2004 17:07:10
Message: <4065fb0e$1@news.povray.org>
>>Even if the Athlon-XP's FPU is able to use 64 bits double precision
>>floats
>

>   What do you mean "if"?

Ah?
Sorry, I'm not a native English speaker, so I may have used the wrong
saying.
I was NOT trying to say that I do not think the FPU able to work on 64
bits double precision floats. In fact, I KNOW that it can work on 80
bits long double floats, as any x87 compatible FPU must.

>>it's internal structure is only 32 bits
>

>   Says who? Do you have any links or other references to corroborate this?

Well, I just had a quick look at the Athlon-XP white papers. There are
no references about the registers' size.
BUT, being a x86 compatible processor, it MUST have 32 bits registers
and ALU. Using 64 bits registers with a 32 bits ALU is STUPID, so if the
Athlon-XP had been build with 64 bits registers and ALU, be sure that
they would have advertised about it (just as they are now about the
Athlon-64...).

Regards,

--
Laurent ARTAUD (lau### [at] freefr)