POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How would I do this? : Re: How would I do this? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 08:09:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How would I do this?
From: Hughes, B
Date: 23 Mar 2004 22:07:57
Message: <4060fb8d$1@news.povray.org>
"Tyler Eaves" <tyl### [at] NOSPAMml1net> wrote in message
news:pan### [at] NOSPAMml1net...

> Here's the setup. Imagine a spline describing a 3D curve with undulations,
> rather like, say, a roller coaster track. (Indeed, that is exactly what I
> intend to do with it.) I want to be able to translate a point relative to
> the origin 'along' the spline, so that basically the Z-axis at the origin
> would point along the tangent of the spine at the point. Now the tricky
> part. I want to *twist* the spline, with a another 1d spline that
> represents the twist in degrees at any given point.

I'm not sure if you'd need anything more than the already included sample in
scenes/animations/splinefollow. It does just what you're asking about,
except maybe the part about using a spline for the twisting action.
Although, it does tilt according to the path curvature. Uses a spline you
create to figure the transformations along it.

Have a look at the transforms.inc, Spline_Trans() macro.

--
Bob H.
http://www.3digitaleyes.com