POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV Wishlist : Re: POV Wishlist Server Time
3 Aug 2024 22:18:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV Wishlist
From: Rick [Kitty5]
Date: 23 Mar 2004 08:06:23
Message: <4060364f@news.povray.org>

http://sf.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=461989&group_id=35688&atid=415075

> http://www.tu-bs.de/%7Ey0013390/povany/index.html

Is filesystem based, Same reason SMPOV is useless to me.

I have no shortage of machines to set up as slaves, I just don't have them
all on me :)

> I (and probably most others here) would appreciate if you'd not come up
> with such conclusions before understanding why POV-Ray is not
> multithreaded.

I am well aware of the reasons (and resistance) for povray's lack of
threading, I am just making the point that for professional print work,
despite the quality of the output, POV is not a suitable tool.

It simply takes far to long to render on a single CPU, and the current
options for distributing a render fall short of the mark.

> Also note that multithreading will not help you to distribute a render
> on several computers.  Using several processors on one machine is one
> thing - distributing a render on several computers in another.

Once you have the capability to scale, how you scale is a trivial matter.

--
Rick

Kitty5 NewMedia http://Kitty5.com
POV-Ray News & Resources http://Povray.co.uk
TEL : (+44) 0845 1083740 - ICQ : 15776037

PGP Public Key : http://pgp.kitty5.com