POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : scaling problem using uv_mapping image_pattern : Re: scaling problem using uv_mapping image_pattern Server Time
3 Aug 2024 08:15:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: scaling problem using uv_mapping image_pattern
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 23 Mar 2004 03:29:28
Message: <405ff568$1@news.povray.org>
In article <eric.medlin-7A9A0A.15165719032004@news.povray.org> , Eric Medlin
<eri### [at] ipapercom>  wrote:

> I have the following texture attached to a model:
> texture{
>   normal{ uv_mapping image_pattern{ jpeg "mask.jpg" interpolate 2}
>     normal_map{
>       [0.5 bump_map{ jpeg "bump.jpg" interpolate 2} scale 0.02]
>       [0.5 bozo scale 0.02 bump_size 0.5]
>     }
>   }
> }
>
> Now the normals maps are scaled to 0.02, if I change the uv_mapping
> image_pattern... to just image_pattern the normals maps are no longer
> the same scale.  I have to change the normal maps scales to 0.2 to make
> it match the uv mapped image pattern.  How is uv_mapping effecting the
> scale?

I think you are confused about what uv-mapping does and what not.  Please
read section "6.7.7 UV Mapping" of the manual.  As you do not provide a full
scene, nobody cannot help you better because the uv-mapping depends on the
object type as described in the manual.  The image-pattern is always one by
one (by one) unit in space, while your uv-vectors may very well be
different.  Without a small but complete scene or at least knowing the
object type, one cannot help you!

Another thing I don't really understand is why you are using a JPEG
image-pattern ... it does not make much sense to use a JPEG for this at all.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde