POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Thinking about J2K... : Re: Thinking about J2K... Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:26:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thinking about J2K...
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 22 Mar 2004 21:54:43
Message: <405fa6f3$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Severi Salminen <sev### [at] not_thissibafi> wrote:
>
>>But I doubt if there are many professionals who can hear the
>>difference between 16/44 and 24/96 _all other things being equal_.
>

>   Believe me: There are.

And it's easy to see the banding in some images resulting from the use
of 8-bit channels. However, the number of cases where this is both
visible and problematic are mercifully small, such that 24-bit color is
"good enough" for these newsgroups, even though it's not ideal for many
professional applications.

If one is personally unsatisfied with that, or if the image needs
special handling (HDRI map, maybe?), then they can provide readers here
with URLs or low-quality versions of their work, and publish the "real"
copy on their own server space.

If IMBJR had done this, instead of trying to ram his preferred (and
functionally redundant) format down everyone's throats, I suspect that
no one would have complained.

-Xplo