POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Lighting for Bright Sunlight : Re: Lighting for Bright Sunlight Server Time
3 Aug 2024 18:22:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lighting for Bright Sunlight
From: Alain
Date: 21 Mar 2004 10:51:48
Message: <405dba14$1@news.povray.org>
Xplo Eristotle nous apporta ses lumieres ainsi en ce 2004/03/21 09:11... :

> John M. Dlugosz wrote:
>
>> It's been a while since I've used POV, but I'm confortable enough so
>> I don't need hand-holding answers and I can look things up in the
>> docs when pointed in the right direction.
>>
>> I'm rendering a Gazebo, and I want it to be in bright Dallas
>> sunshine.  So, one light source in the right spot, and yow, the
>> contrast is too high.  The shadows are too dark.  Yea, it really does
>> look like that, but the eye adjusts as you look around.
>

> One thing you might want to keep in mind is that a monitor will
> probably have MUCH too small a contrast range to display this scene
> accurately.. so, rather than trying to make it look physically real,
> you should settle for making it look "good". You might consider using
> photographs of similar real-world environments for reference.
>
> -Xplo

Using an higher ambiant value may help lightening the shadows.
Using radiosity may help but will take longer. Depending on your scene,
you may need a recursion value of 2 to 6 (2 or 3 if you only have the
ground and underside of the gazebo to considere)
If your gazebo is suposed to be canvas, try giving it a low filter or
transmit value to simulate the light passing thrue the fabric.
Adding a faint light (Gray05 or Gray10) under the gazebo can sometimes help.

Alain