POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Lighting for Bright Sunlight : Re: Lighting for Bright Sunlight Server Time
3 Aug 2024 12:14:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lighting for Bright Sunlight
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 21 Mar 2004 09:11:49
Message: <405da2a5@news.povray.org>
John M. Dlugosz wrote:
> It's been a while since I've used POV, but I'm confortable enough so I
> don't need hand-holding answers and I can look things up in the docs
> when pointed in the right direction.
>
> I'm rendering a Gazebo, and I want it to be in bright Dallas sunshine.
> So, one light source in the right spot, and yow, the contrast is too
> high.  The shadows are too dark.  Yea, it really does look like that,
> but the eye adjusts as you look around.

One thing you might want to keep in mind is that a monitor will probably
have MUCH too small a contrast range to display this scene accurately..
so, rather than trying to make it look physically real, you should
settle for making it look "good". You might consider using photographs
of similar real-world environments for reference.

-Xplo