POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Textures and slopes : Re: Textures and slopes Server Time
3 Aug 2024 10:24:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Textures and slopes
From: gonzo
Date: 18 Mar 2004 01:12:47
Message: <40593ddf@news.povray.org>
Vincent LE CHEVALIER <lec### [at] ctiecpfr> wrote in message
> Hello !
>
> I've been trying to render the same landscape in POV-Ray and Terragen,
> and I found myself stuck in the texturing. I wonder, in fact, if there
> is a way to do the same texturing in POV and Terragen.

Been trying to do the same thing... Terragen textures really add a lot...

> As far as I understand, Terragen's textures are organized in several
> layers, each with a specific color and amount of bumps. So far, layered
> textures would do the trick. The point is that in Terragen, you can
> control the visibility of a layer based on the slope of the underlying
> layers. For example, you can have a rock layer, very bumpy, and a snow
> layer over it, only in the less slopy areas, with its own bumps.
>
> I tried to achieve such effect with a slope pattern in a layered
> texture, but in this case the slope used is just that of the
> height_field, not including the normal perturbation.

I'm pretty sure Terragen uses the height_field slope to determine it's
layering also. But I think Terragen interpolates its maps differently than
POV does.

> I can obtain something similar using slope-patterned pigments and only
> one normal statement, but then I lose the control over the bumps of each
> layer.
>
> Has anyone got an idea about how to solve this problem ?

Still playing around with it, but I've had better results with texture maps
using a mix of slope & gradient than with layered textures (I still haven't
figured out how to get as much control over layers...), and I'm just
starting to play around with normal maps.  Terragen's texture editor layers
things by both slope & altitude, and I find the gradient pattern useful to
reproduce the altitude.