POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.poser : Making Dynamic Poser clothes : Re: Making Dynamic Poser clothes Server Time
26 Apr 2024 08:43:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Making Dynamic Poser clothes
From: Jim Charter
Date: 15 Mar 2004 19:56:53
Message: <405650d5$1@news.povray.org>
Jeremy M. Praay wrote:
> Has anyone made their own clothes for Poser?  If so, is it possible using
> free (or really cheap) tools?  I looked over one example which used 3dsmax,
> but I don't want to have to fork out money like that.  I'll confess that I
> haven't tried Wings yet, assuming that's possible.
>
> I would like to make some of my own clothes, just because hardly anyone else
> makes "normal" clothes, but if it turns out that it's incredibly difficult,
> I probably won't bother.

Not sure what is necessary in a modeller to do that, myself. Non
"wings-edged" mesh support at the least. I suspect that a tool such as
you find in Maya that allows you to create a series of points in space
on a surface, then derive a spline from them, then 'loft' a series of
these splines into a second surface, all through the gui, would be
helpful.  But I am sure there are many techniques.  There are also many
modellers in freespace now.  Art of Illusion has its fans.  But I am not
familiar with its toolset.  You really should check sourceforge, and
other freeware venues to see what is going on.

Same as Gilles, I would probably not try it in Wings in its present
state.  I've had little sucess getting Wings to support Poser mesh, or
even Wings mesh that is washed through Poser.  I believe people that
create and sell Poser clothes are using highend tools.

The author of Anim8or makes an effort to support the Poser community and
I like what he is trying to do. I personally find the interface a little
weird but quite fast to learn, never-the-less.  It also supports all
three types of 'mesh', also boning, and animation.  Last time I used it,
couple of years ago on W98, it crashed a lot.  That together with the
interface is what drove me away from it.  Personally I anticipate
learning a least one other tool than Wings, for boning tasks, and the
handling of 'open' mesh. Might be Anim8or.  Also watch digit magazine
and others for giveaways.  I can't imagine this niche (freeware to
handle Poser related mesh tasks) will stay unoccupied for long.  It's a
topic I wouldn't mind investigating but my plate is quite full at the
moment.