POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Strange Attractors, rendering time & memory usage : Re: Strange Attractors, rendering time & memory usage Server Time
3 Aug 2024 10:21:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strange Attractors, rendering time & memory usage
From: Manuel Kasten
Date: 14 Mar 2004 04:47:45
Message: <40542a41$1@news.povray.org>
> My system is a Athlon XP 2400+ with a gigabyte of memory
> Using POVRay 3.5 under linux my render times were
> Quality 0 - 52 seconds (thats 19 seconds to parse 33 seconds to trace)
> Quality 1 - 629 seconds (420 seconds to parse 209 seconds to trace)
>
> Memory use was higher as you noted for POVRay 3.5
> Quality 0 - about 32 MBytes
> Quality 1 - about 500 MBytes
(...)
> When you said parsing times were lower
> in POVRay 3.5, how much lower were they.

Ok, my system was freaked up. After a reboot I got following times and Memory uses:
Quality 0:
POV 3.6   63 sec ( 23 sec parse / 40 sec render )  27.5 MB
POV 3.5   51 sec ( 12 sec parse / 39 sec render )  31.0 MB

I can't test Quality 1 because of heavy swapping it will take hours to complete.
The 500 MB are right. My 400 MB were from an previous attractor. I thought
2.000.000 spheres are 2.000.000 spheres, but I was wrong.

> I suspect the memory usage may be due to the space used in the internal
> data representation used by POVRay.  For the quality 1 case, you are
> representing 2 million spheres so if it takes over a hundred bytes per
> object to store a sphere internally in POVRay, thats where your memory went.

I have rendered different attractors with 2.000.000 spheres and the memory
usage is not equal each time...

Manuel Kasten