POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Strange Attractors, rendering time & memory usage : Re: Strange Attractors, rendering time & memory usage Server Time
3 Aug 2024 10:16:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strange Attractors, rendering time & memory usage
From: Richard Kline
Date: 13 Mar 2004 16:24:36
Message: <40537c14@news.povray.org>
Manuel Kasten wrote:
> Whoops, should have mentioned that times and memory usage is with POV 3.6b1
> under WinXP.
>
> With POV 3.5 memory usage is a bit higher, but parsing times are lower.
> (at least for "preview", I haven't tested the other two with POV 3.5)
>

> Manuel Kasten

My system is a Athlon XP 2400+ with a gigabyte of memory
Using POVRay 3.5 under linux my render times were
Quality 0 - 52 seconds (thats 19 seconds to parse 33 seconds to trace)
Quality 1 - 629 seconds (420 seconds to parse 209 seconds to trace)

Memory use was higher as you noted for POVRay 3.5
Quality 0 - about 32 MBytes
Quality 1 - about 500 MBytes

I don't understand why my render times were that much lower than yours.
  It shouldn't have been over twice as fast even when allowing for
POVRay being CPU bound and counting the 20% speed difference directly (I
usually use sqrt(CPU speed) as a rule of thumb).  I wouldn't think
Windows XP versus Linux would be that big a difference either (I would
have guessed no more than 10%).  When you said parsing times were lower
in POVRay 3.5, how much lower were they.

I suspect the memory usage may be due to the space used in the internal
data representation used by POVRay.  For the quality 1 case, you are
representing 2 million spheres so if it takes over a hundred bytes per
object to store a sphere internally in POVRay, thats where your memory went.

Richard Kline