POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : thought i found a bug... : thought i found a bug... Server Time
3 Aug 2024 10:16:16 EDT (-0400)
  thought i found a bug...
From: Ross Litscher
Date: 12 Mar 2004 12:28:53
Message: <4051f355$1@news.povray.org>
...but i found a feature. I had a surface of revolution (sor) object, that
was generally the shape of a narrow column, slightly more narrow at the
base, widening to about 1.3 units at 3*y, and about a 1 unit radius at the
top, 11 units tall. if the camera was placed someplace between 0*y and 11*y
(the range the sor object extends) the sor would render incorrectly with an
area of the sor not rendered at the height of the camera. once the camera
was moved above or below the sor object, the object would render normally.
changing "look_at" had no effect on the outcome in either situation.

the feature i found was, use "sturm"! it fixed it in all cases.

I find it funny that the incorrectness when not using sturm was camera
height dependent.  Have other people noticed this? I don't consider it a
"bug" really, since pov has something to correct it already.

Also, I was curious why the default value of sturm is "off". Does it
significantly reduce speed in some cases?

thanks,
ross