POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Arrghh : Re: Arrghh Server Time
4 May 2024 04:45:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Arrghh
From: Jim Charter
Date: 11 Mar 2004 19:10:12
Message: <4050ffe4$1@news.povray.org>
JC (Exether) wrote:

> Tyler Eaves wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 15:16:38 -0800, Chambers wrote:
>>

>>> I think the bar has risen sufficiently that people are intimidated to
>>> enter.
>>>
>>> Or a better way of putting it would be, "I don't want to do a half-a**ed
>>> job".  I don't have time to do any other kind, unfortunately, so I
>>> haven't
>>> entered in a long time.
>>

>> Certainly a factor.
>>
>> Maybe it would be neat to have a second contest, which can only be
>> entered
>> by those who haven't won something (IE 1st-3rd or a merit award) in the
>> regular contest?
>

> I don't think that would solve much, if you divide 40 entrants by 2 ...
> The other thing is that the IRTC is a competition and not everyone can
> be first, and like Pierre de Coubertin said "The important is to
> participate".
>
> I think that what's missing in the IRTC is simply dynamism:
> - it always takes days before you see the images, you see the results,
> etc ...
> - the web site hasn't change since a very long time, it still looks like
> these old web sites I was writing back at university in 1996. The simple
> fact that you have to go through text files to see the results and count
> the lines to know your rank is really choking in 2004.
>
> It is probably just that the admins where overwhelmed by the success
> they got with the competition, but now with something like maybe 6000
> entries that required a lot of time from the entrants, they have a kind
> of responsability. I'm not saying they should spend their time working
> on the competition, but they could ask for help, suggestions. I'm sure
> there would be people willing to help. The best guaranty of success for
> a web site is to have an open team where people can get in and out.
>
> I made a quick stats site because I felt that some things could be done,
>  and suggested some improvements. I created a yearly contest so that new
> entrants could have a goal at their reach. I'm not saying that these are
> good ideas, but they show obviously that the competition can be improved.
>
> Nothing is perfect, but in nature a species that stops evolving
> disapears. I believe the same happens on the net. I really hope the IRTC
> will start evolving again because I think it's a really great
> competition and that it's historic at the scale of the internet.
>
> JC

Some very good comments in my opinion.  I happen to like the visual
design of the site but the presentation of data could be improved as you
say. Some of the same things I said about your site I would also say
about the IRTC site, that I would hesitate to send people there to view
my work because navigation is just to hard to explain.  But again, I
think we are making these comments in the wrong place.  Either the
contest admins need to start reading these groups or we need to start
using the irtc_l I think.