POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Arrghh : Re: Arrghh Server Time
4 May 2024 01:51:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Arrghh
From: JC (Exether)
Date: 11 Mar 2004 17:21:04
Message: <4050e650$1@news.povray.org>
Tyler Eaves wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 15:16:38 -0800, Chambers wrote:
>

>>I think the bar has risen sufficiently that people are intimidated to enter.
>>
>>Or a better way of putting it would be, "I don't want to do a half-a**ed
>>job".  I don't have time to do any other kind, unfortunately, so I haven't
>>entered in a long time.
>

> Certainly a factor.
>
> Maybe it would be neat to have a second contest, which can only be entered
> by those who haven't won something (IE 1st-3rd or a merit award) in the
> regular contest?

I don't think that would solve much, if you divide 40 entrants by 2 ...
The other thing is that the IRTC is a competition and not everyone can
be first, and like Pierre de Coubertin said "The important is to
participate".

I think that what's missing in the IRTC is simply dynamism:
- it always takes days before you see the images, you see the results,
etc ...
- the web site hasn't change since a very long time, it still looks like
these old web sites I was writing back at university in 1996. The simple
fact that you have to go through text files to see the results and count
the lines to know your rank is really choking in 2004.

It is probably just that the admins where overwhelmed by the success
they got with the competition, but now with something like maybe 6000
entries that required a lot of time from the entrants, they have a kind
of responsability. I'm not saying they should spend their time working
on the competition, but they could ask for help, suggestions. I'm sure
there would be people willing to help. The best guaranty of success for
a web site is to have an open team where people can get in and out.

I made a quick stats site because I felt that some things could be done,
  and suggested some improvements. I created a yearly contest so that
new entrants could have a goal at their reach. I'm not saying that these
are good ideas, but they show obviously that the competition can be
improved.

Nothing is perfect, but in nature a species that stops evolving
disapears. I believe the same happens on the net. I really hope the IRTC
will start evolving again because I think it's a really great
competition and that it's historic at the scale of the internet.

JC

--
http://exether.free.fr/irtc (more IRTC stats !)