POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Thinking about J2K... : Re: Thinking about J2K... Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:20:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thinking about J2K...
From: scott
Date: 11 Mar 2004 16:36:04
Message: <4050dbc4@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Severi Salminen <sev### [at] not_thissibafi> wrote:
> > I don't think there are many printers (or
> > video cards) that accept 48bit data - does anyone know?
>
>   For grayscales it would be enough if the printer supported 16-bit
> B/W images... But I suppose you won't find those in your nearest store
> either. :)

Am I being daft or does it not depend on the contrast ratio as you what bit
depth you need?  If you could produce a display or print where the white is
1000000 times brighter than the black then you would need lots of bits to
not see any banding.  However on my mobile phone in reflective mode
(contrast ratio about 10) you don't see any banding with 5-bit, and in
transmissive mode (CR about 100) with 6-bit you don't see any banding.

There must be a minimum contrast ratio that the human eye can typically
distinguish between, from my quick calculations I reckon it's about 1.07, or
a 7% increase in brightness.