POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Arrghh : Re: Arrghh Server Time
4 May 2024 02:00:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Arrghh
From: Chambers
Date: 11 Mar 2004 15:37:17
Message: <4050cdfd$1@news.povray.org>
"Tyler Eaves" <tyl### [at] NOSPAMml1net> wrote in message
news:pan### [at] NOSPAMml1net...
> On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 15:16:38 -0800, Chambers wrote:
>

> > I think the bar has risen sufficiently that people are intimidated to
enter.

> > Or a better way of putting it would be, "I don't want to do a half-a**ed
> > job".  I don't have time to do any other kind, unfortunately, so I
haven't
> > entered in a long time.
>
> Certainly a factor.
>
> Maybe it would be neat to have a second contest, which can only be entered
> by those who haven't won something (IE 1st-3rd or a merit award) in the
> regular contest?

Or sort them into categories.  Everybody by default gets put into a JV
group.  When someone wins an award or HM, they get put into the Varsity
league.  The two are judged separately?  We could even separate it further:
freshman, sophomore, junior & senior.  You move from each category to the
after 5 rounds you're automatically promoted to sophomore, so you don't get
depressed about perennially being a freshman).

Of course, this deals with the problem of identification.

I don't think 4 categories would work well, but something like this might be
more inviting for new artists.  If the problem is the number of entries,
then this might help.

But, maybe the number of entries isn't a problem.  It all depends.

--
...Chambers
http://www.geocities.com/bdchambers79