POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Using code from example files. : Re: Using code from example files. Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:29:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Using code from example files.
From: Darren MJ
Date: 10 Mar 2004 17:44:00
Message: <404f9a30$1@news.povray.org>
"Hughes, B." <omn### [at] charternet> wrote in message
> "Darren MJ" <POV### [at] NOtacitSPAMfsnetPLEASEcouk> wrote in message
> > Appologies if this has been asked before, but I can't find an answer;
> > Is it ok to use elements from the example files (with attributing them
> > to the original author/file) in my own images without tracking down
> > and asking the authors individually?
>
> I believe the long-standing answer to that, is, "derivitive" works should
> not be done by using the original sample scene files. Pretty sure it says
so
> in the POV docs someplace. Not sure at all about these newsgroups and
> content thereof. My concept of this would be including a file and using it
> for a rendering of a poster sold at www.zazzle.com. Most examples are for
> learning from though, so you almost need to use them in a way to propogate
> into your own scenes.

Thanks, I've found the relevant bit in POVLEGAL now (under Usage
Provisions),
you're right I can't use the code as the files I took it from don't have
explicit re-use
provision in them.  Looks like I'll have to go and do a bit more coding
before I
can put my 1st image in p.b.i.

<snip/>

> As to my own stuff, if you find it it's yours, unless it also says do not
> use until I say so. Which isn't likely, at least until I get a potentially
> profitable thing made.  ;-)
>
> Bob H.

Thank you.

/Darren MJ.