POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : DEM to height_field : Re: DEM to height_field Server Time
3 Aug 2024 10:24:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: DEM to height_field
From: Hughes, B
Date: 10 Mar 2004 11:02:36
Message: <404f3c1c$1@news.povray.org>
"Peter Hertel" <peter@(NOSPAM)hertel.no> wrote in message
news:404f1111$1@news.povray.org...
> I've been looking for a high resoultion height field which includes the
> middle of norway (more exactly, the mountains around Molde, south of
> Trondheim). See a map of the location here:

http://www.gulesider.no/gsi/map.do?n=&mode=&size=2&cb=cz&c=s&cm=&v=&bkode=&d

rill=&showCompanies=false&firma=&clickX=238&clickY=178&msa=m1&x=6.743208&y=6
> 2.60207&id=&startId=&finishId=&spraak=1&oldZoom=2
>
> I haven't found any images with high enough resolution, but perhaps DEM
maps
> could be of some use?
>
> The question is, how do I convert DEM maps to a height_field?

3DEM is both free and good at using several different elevation data
formats. You could use it to show grayscale images and then save the bitmaps
(check its Help for proper grayscale heightfield making). Download it from
http://www.visualizationsoftware.com/3dem/downloads.html (web browser should
encounter an Ad, timeout, and go direct to download).

There's also a link to SRTM data on that web page which goes to another site
and then a directory for "eurasia". Unfortunately, I see it only reaches to
60 degrees north latitude in one degree increments and looks like the area
you want is above 62 degrees N. Something probably exists for that area
someplace on the www, I didn't notice anything in a quick search though.

--
Bob H.
http://www.3digitaleyes.com