POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Thinking about J2K... : Re: Thinking about J2K... Server Time
3 Aug 2024 18:22:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thinking about J2K...
From: laurent artaud[AT]free fr
Date: 10 Mar 2004 09:45:07
Message: <404f29f3$1@news.povray.org>

> No.  There is no difference in the waveforms.  See my posts in
> povray.binaries.misc.  Or download Adobe Audition demo version to try out
> for yourself.

Silly me! Of course there is no difference: the filters keep only the
fundamental, which is a sin at 20KHz! It's a triangular waveform, not a
sin waveform you have to use.
ARGH!
I'm starting to loose myself!
I can't remember how the test was supposed to be done!
Was it 20KHz or 22KHz? Was it a triangular or a square waveform?

(I can't test it myself: I use Linux and have no sound editing softwares
installed (I'll have to find one to try, but I will not be able to do
that before this WE...))
(I can't find p.b.m...)

> Please note that in [4] the scale goes from -32000 to 32000, so we are
> seeing an error of between 1 and 2 per 32000, ie -84dB.  Theoretically there
> should be no error, but I had choose a quality setting when I upsampled in
> stage 2, so I'm sure that effects the result.

Well, In my opinion, this error is just a rounding error during the
conversions... It is not the one I was talking about.

> I can't hear the -84dB signal on my machine at work, I'll try it at home but
> I'd imagine I would need to have my amplifier up *far* higher than I do
> normally.

Well, if you can hear this signal, you have a really really really
hi-end audio system. Most of the signal/noise ratios are around 70-80dB,
so you might hear the amplifier's noise better that the signal.

Regards,

--
Laurent ARTAUD (lau### [at] freefr)