POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Thinking about J2K... : Re: Thinking about J2K... Server Time
3 Aug 2024 18:20:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thinking about J2K...
From: scott
Date: 10 Mar 2004 09:13:06
Message: <404f2272$1@news.povray.org>
laurent.artaud[AT]free.fr" <"laurent.artaud[AT]free.fr wrote:
>> Yeah, I have software and hardware to play 24/96 from my PC, it's
>> just I doubt my speakers could keep up [just looking], apparently
>> they are down -3dB at 22kHz, so who knows what they'll be down to at
>> 48kHz.
>>

> Well, if you have the software, try this:
> - create a sin waveform at 20KHz and save it in a 16/44 format
> - create a sin waveform at 20KHz and save it in a 24/96 format
> - at 24/96, import the two audio files and compare them, the
> difference should be obvious (if not, try it with 22KHz waveforms).

No.  There is no difference in the waveforms.  See my posts in
povray.binaries.misc.  Or download Adobe Audition demo version to try out
for yourself.

[1] This is a 20kHz sine wave saved and then loaded in 44.1 / 16-bit format
[2] This is file [1] converted to 96 / 32-bit format, then saved and loaded
[3] This is a 20kHz sine wave generated in 96/32 format, saved and loaded
[4] This is the difference between [2] and [3], computed in 32-bit format.

Please note that in [4] the scale goes from -32000 to 32000, so we are
seeing an error of between 1 and 2 per 32000, ie -84dB.  Theoretically there
should be no error, but I had choose a quality setting when I upsampled in
stage 2, so I'm sure that effects the result.

> - if you want to have fun, sub the 24/96 by the 16/44 and play the
> result (at 24/96). Depending of your ears and your hardware, you may
> be able to hear the difference.

I can't hear the -84dB signal on my machine at work, I'll try it at home but
I'd imagine I would need to have my amplifier up *far* higher than I do
normally.