POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Thinking about J2K... : Re: Thinking about J2K... Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:19:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thinking about J2K...
From: laurent artaud[AT]free fr
Date: 9 Mar 2004 12:40:14
Message: <404e017e$1@news.povray.org>

> Wouldn't that involve being able to hear sounds at a frequency higher than
> 22 kHz or with a higher dynamic range than 100 dB?

Not really.
For example, there are some amplifiers that can work from 0 Hz to 200
KHz (hi ends ones... and far more than a month salary worth...). Some
can say that it is stupid, because it is far beyond the ears range. But
there are some signal modulations that are generated at aprox. (I don't
really remember) half the max frequency of the amplifier. By setting
that max frequency that far higher, you can be sure that it does not
affect the frequency range you can hear.

For hearing the difference between 16/44 and 24/96, on some signals, a
lot of people can! Even those that are not professional.
I explain:
The ear is more sensitive that most think.
If you connect a fonction generator to your amplifier, you can hear the
difference between a sin waveform and a triangular waveform at 20 KHz.
Record it on a CD, and you can no more! There is not enough precision at
high frequencies. On a 24/69 signal, you can.

regards,

--
Laurent ARTAUD (lau### [at] freefr)